Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Review: Bar Code Rebellion by Suzanne Weyn

The Bar Code Rebellion, by Suzanne Weyn, is the second book about seventeen-year-old Kayla Marie Reed and the world she lives in. In 2025, when the novel takes place, everyone, at the age of seventeen, is required to be tattooed with a bar code. The bar code is what people use for everything, from paying for bus fare to getting a job. In the first book about this world, The Bar Code Tattoo, Kayla's neighbor, the now-famous Gene Drake, was killed in a struggle because he had discovered something terrible about the tattoo, and wanted to tell the world.

More terrible, it seems, than what Kayla and other bar code resistors already know: that the tattoo contains each person's genetic code, gotten from the blood sample taken when they are tattooed. These codes can ruin a person's life, if they have problems such as bipolar disorder or Parkinson's disease in their family. That's what happened to Kayla's friend Amber and her parents.

Following Gene Drake's example, people everywhere are resisting the tattoo, even though it means forfeiting any chance at a normal life as a part of society. People are burning off the tattoo, or, if they join in time, refusing to get it in the first place.

One day, Kayla sees a girl on TV with her face, telling people how happy she is about the barcode tattoo. Next thing she knows, this girl is everywhere, pretending to be Kayla, and promoting the barcode tattoo. Is she a digital fake? Or is there more to it than that?

Suzanne Weyn's novel takes place in a scary future society. It's especially scary because it really could come true. We've all read books about what the future will be like, and chances are, none of them are exactly right. Everyone predicts, though, that the government will have more and more control over our daily lives, maybe even getting to the intense and frightening level in Bar Code Rebellion.

In this story, characterization takes a backseat to the action, but that's okay, as it's meant to be more about the plot and the setting than it is about the characters. Even though the characters feel a little two-dimensional, it's still a book worth reading, especially for fans of The Bar Code Tattoo.

Rating: 7/10

**This review is also posted on TeensReadToo.com**

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved thhe first one, and I love the second one too! Suzanne is te best author I've ever known.
When I read The Bar Code Tattoo i just had to find out if there was a second. And there was!

Anonymous said...

I didn't read any of them, but my teacher has # one in her library. i have the second. i'm dieing to read them.

Anonymous said...

I've read the first one, ad i loved it. the day after i finished the book i read in this geneology book that in 2025, genetics will be advanced enough to acturally put all your genetic info on a card, and that it would be harder for people to get jobs that have bad genetic histry, that just, like freaked me out, that it could acturally happen, that this book may be a realty in 20 years, ohh, ya im reading the second one and i love it so much more than the first, i cant believe about KM-1-6, and #1through 6, kendra is really creapy, i thought she was acturally ging to kill kaya! sry! i think i've just spoiled some of it for someone who hasn't read the ooks yet, mabye it will just give you more incentive to read them! =)

Anonymous said...

so why are there so many of her?

Anonymous said...

There are so many of them becouse there all clones you find out more if you read the second book!

Anonymous said...

well yea i am reading the second book right kno and its really intresting. i really like the books well keep up the good work... =]

Anonymous said...

I've read the first book and it soooo cool!!!!
Am dieing to read the second one, but....
I don't know where to buy it!!!:(
I went to a lot of shops to look 4 it....

Anonymous said...

i luvedddd da 1st one
cant wait to read da 2nd one

Anonymous said...

My Friend garrett told me about the books!!! they are the best books ever!I love the relationships and how its makes u relize.... u never know what'll happen so watch out and remember...

HOPE IS THE THING WITH FEATHERS
THAT PEARCHES IN THE SOUL
AND SINGS THE TUNE WITHOUT THE WORDS
AND NEVER STOPS AT ALL

Stay strong
-carrie

Anonymous said...

I loved the first book! It really got me thinking about what WOULD really happen in the future. It actually might be possible that later on America will be a dictatorship. Hopefully that won't happen. I just read the book last night from 1am to 7am; I couldn't even put it down if I wanted to! After I finished I was wondering why the ending seemed kind of short. It left me bummed until I searched for book reviews on the internet. I looked for the review on The Bar Code Tattoo and then i found the sequel! So the next time I go to the book store, I am definitely getting it! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I so wish there was a 3rd one if there is then I CANT FIND IT!!!! The 1st and 2nd books ROCK OUT LOUD! But I figure out how to pronounce Mfumbe's name!

Anonymous said...

They should TOTALY MAKE A MOVIE OR A 3RD BOOK. If the aurthor reads this then I would say "please please please make more! They rock! I beg of you I would give you anything just make a 3rd book ive been thinking about the books ever scince I finsihed the 2nd book!" -Corbin Bleu lover

Anonymous said...

I loved the first book! The topic was extremely creative and I could not put the book down. I don't really like the ending of the second one though. I think the author should make a third one. also, i think in the 2nd book, Kayla was hanging out too much with Jack. She should stay with mfumbe, who has put his heart and sole to Kayla.

Anonymous said...

I still don't get why global-1 wanted Kayla so bad.

Alexandria said...

The book is absolutly awesome i keepreading the book again and again. i actully started writting a "book" about what i think should happen in the third book if their is one. i dont know how to pronounce Mfumbe name and it drives me nuts. some won help other wise the book is final leval. (Ha ha)- Alexandria

Alexandria said...

THis book was totaly finlelevel. Sweat

Alexandria said...

Suzanne is the best author in the world i love the bar code serius. INfact i started saying Final leval, Banged out and out of this sphere at school.even my friends started saying it.
PS. IF YOU HAVENT READ THIS BOOK THEN YOU HAVENT LIVED ;)

Scott Blake said...

I make Temporary Barcode Tattoos just for fun. FREE! Sample Barcode Tattoo offer on my website: http://www.barcodeart.com

See what it feels like to become a number.

Anonymous said...

ive read the first one and its amazing! i think im gonna buy the second one as well! i can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I just finish reading the first one and canhn`t find the second one in the libary The Bar Code Tattoo is a great read

Anonymous said...

I loved the first book to a point. There we some really interesting and slightly scary ideas that made me think. I only just read the second book, and I have to agree with some review I read. It has some plot holes and its plot wraps up in like, 2 pages. It was interesting but I think it was squished into to few books.

Anonymous said...

We actually discussed something like this in my college psychology class and I brought up these books since it was closely related to the subject. Now I wanna read these books again.