Monday, July 16, 2007

Harry Potter: Thoughts On Characters

As I've been rereading the books, I've been thinking about the various characters, both those that I love and those I love to hate. Here are a few thoughts.

Harry Potter: Yes, I know he's the protagonist. I'm supposed to love him. He's the hero, after all. However, I've always found him to be kind of annoying. He's stupid and whiny. Especially in book five (although they didn't show that as much in the movie). I love JK Rowling, but I hate Harry Potter.

Fred & George Weasley: These two are pretty much interchangeable. They are not real characters; just comic relief. They say funny things, but are not developed as actual people. I love them anyway, I just wish we knew them better!

Lee Jordan: Here's another one I wish we saw more of. I've always enjoyed what little bit of him is in the books (his quidditch commentaries are hilarious!), but he's barely there. More Lee Jordan would be nice!

Luna Lovegood: She's good for a bit of comic relief, too, but she's also a real character, or more real than Fred and George, at least. I quite enjoy her eccentricity!

Sirius Black: I was a bit teary when he died. He's always been one of the more interesting characters, that's for sure. Actually, that whole generation seems more interesting than the current one (Lily, James, Sirius, etc.). I'd like to see a prequel about them, but I don't think that's going to happen. Anyway, Sirius has always been a favorite of mine. He is much more interesting than many of the main characters, and I don't really think whiny Harry deserves him as a godfather.

Dumbledore: I know it's a bit blasphemous these days, but I'm not a big Dumbledore fan. Sure, he was a great wizard and all, but not the greatest guy ever. Especially in the more recent books, he kind of bothered me. I can't put my finger on why. But I wasn't too upset when he died (I don't think that's a spoiler anymore with book seven so close).

That's it for now. Anyone care to share their own thoughts about the characters?